The next deadline to apply to the Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording program is Thursday January 26th 11:59pm PT.
If you plan to submit to the Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording deadline, now is the time to be updating those artist profile bios, determining your project goals, writing your Artist Development Plan, and preparing your JSR marketing plan.
Last year, FACTOR received over 900 applications to the Artist Development and Juried Sound Recording programs. FACTOR funded roughly one quarter of submitted projects, which means that both programs are very competitive.
Remember: you can only submit an application to one of these programs per deadline. If you submit projects to both the AD program and the JSR program, your project coordinator will have to reject one of these projects as ineligible.
In order to help you create the best applications you possibly can, here are some tools and resources that may be helpful.
Artist Development program page & Program Guidelines
- Everything you need to know about the AD program before you apply: required application materials, who is eligible, how applications are assessed, and how payments are made. Check the Artist Development Program Guidelines for detailed information on what kinds of activities and costs are covered under the program, in-depth explanation of required materials, and the assessment rubric used by jurors when evaluating applications.
Juried Sound Recording program page & Program Guidelines
- Everything you need to know about the JSR program before you apply: required application materials, who is eligible, how applications are assessed, and how payments are made. Check the Juried Sound Recording Program Guidelines for detailed information on how funding is structured, who is eligible to apply, in-depth explanation of required materials, suggested additional materials, and the assessment rubric used by jurors when evaluating applications.
- New to FACTOR? Not sure what an artist profile is? Follow along with our step-by-step guide. Remember: if you don’t already have a rated artist profile and a rated applicant profile, you must submit these for review by Thursday, January 19th. New profiles submitted after this deadline will not be rated in time to create an application for the program deadline.
- Your profiles are ready to go, but now what? Our step-by-step guide to creating a new project application will explain what that pesky “Dashboard” is, what to do with all those tabs, and exactly what that “Validate” button does. Great for first-timers; handy for everyone else.
- Where you’ll find things like the Artist Development Plan (required for all applications to the Artist Development program), the Marketing Plan Guide (a marketing plan is required for all JSR projects), the Juried Assessment Preparation Guide (the bible for AD and JSR applicants), and every FACTOR form you’ll ever need.
- Before the first Artist Development deadline, FACTOR VP Allison Outhit and Business Operations Specialist Megan Jones hosted a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) to answer all your questions about the new program. Wondering about whether American costs are eligible? Have a funded project already and wondering if you can apply again? Wondering which sections of the AD Plan you should be filling out? Read the responses, straight from the experts’ keyboards.
- A quick reference guide filled with all the need-to-know info for General Artists or FACTOR novices.
- If you’re stumped by it, chances are someone else wondered about it too. All the crowd favourites in one place.