The Artist Development Program offers a $2,000 subsidy toward one year of artist development activities including sound recording, touring & showcasing, video production, marketing and promotion. These activities must be detailed in an artist development plan, which is incorporated into the application on the portal.
With your application, you must submit:
- An MP3 of a recent demo along with lyrics, known as the assessment track
- A current artist biography (uploaded to your artist profile)
- An artist development plan, which sets out all the intended artist development activities to be undertaken if the project is approved for funding
At the end of the Artist Development year, successful applicants are required to deliver to FACTOR one new, previously unreleased, professional quality sound recording, called the Delivery Track.
Read the program guidelines.Download PDF
Components in this program
This program consists of the Artist Development component.
Deadline announcements will be delayed as we are in the process of reviewing our programs for the new fiscal year. Please stay tuned and check our website, newsletter, or social media for updates.
The following rules apply:
- Applicants can only apply to one of the two juried programs (either Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording), and only at one of the two deadlines (2021 deadlines TBC).
- Applicants will not be able to apply to two deadlines in a row. If an applicant applies to the May deadline, they cannot apply again at the November deadline. Applicants will have to wait for their next eligible deadline to apply again. Think of it as “every other deadline”.
- There is one exception to the “every other deadline” rule. For each program, the top 20 applications that do not receive funding will be eligible to make improvements to their applications and reapply for the next deadline without waiting a full 12 months. Clients will be notified when the jury results are communicated if they are eligible for this exception.
- Prior to each deadline there will be a three-month window during which applications to AD can be created, edited and submitted. FACTOR will delete all incomplete applications after the window closes. Late applications will be rejected and not held until the next deadline.
Read FACTOR’s Glossary of Standard Terms and Business Policies
Funding & Payments
FACTOR will reimburse 75% of the eligible costs up to $2,000. To receive the full grant, applicants must complete the activities set out in an artist development plan, and be able to prove that they incurred at least $2667 worth of eligible expenses (including Donated Services) during the Artist Development year.
FACTOR will allow a claim for Artist’s Donated Services of up to $500 for this program. Beyond that, FACTOR will only recognize costs actually paid to third parties. Artists who do not intend to spend money on third-party costs are not eligible for this program.
Assessment materials, including the mandatory artist development plan, are reviewed and scored by a jury comprised of music industry professionals. The top-scoring applications are then reviewed by FACTOR staff, who assess the eligibility of the projects and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors for their approval. Assessment time is up to 16 weeks from the deadline.