Juried Sound Recording
The Juried Sound Recording program contributes toward the cost of acquiring, producing and marketing a full length album. Submissions are assessed by an independent jury of music industry professionals.
With your application, you must submit:
- Goals and expected results
- Recording start date
- Detailed information for each track you intend to record
- Lyrics (where applicable)
- 2 MP3 assessment tracks
- A description of changes you intend to make to the tracks
- A detailed marketing plan
Read the program guidelines.Download PDF
Components in this program
The Juried Sound Recording program funds a portion of the cost of production of an original full-length sound recording, and contributes to the marketing and promotion of that sound recording under the Marketing, Tour Support, Showcase, Radio Marketing, and Video components.
All applications to this program must include the Sound Recording component.
May 28, 2020
October 29, 2020 – 5:00pm ET
The next round of Juried Sound Recording applications will be accepted no later than October 29, 2020 at 5:00pm ET. Submissions after 5:00pm ET will not be accepted. Please note that the window to submit an application is currently open. You can apply now!
The following rules apply:
- Applicants can only apply to one of the two juried programs (either Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording), and only at one of the two deadlines (May 28 or Oct 29).
- Applicants will not be able to apply to two deadlines in a row. If an applicant applies to the May 28 deadline, they cannot apply at the October 29 deadline. Applicants will have to wait for their next eligible deadline (in this example, May 2021) to apply again. Think of it as “every other deadline”.
- There is one exception to the “every other deadline” rule. For each program, the top 20 applications that do not receive funding will be eligible to make improvements to their applications and reapply for the next deadline without waiting a full 12 months. Clients will be notified when the jury results are communicated if they are eligible for this exception.
- Prior to each deadline there will be a three-month window during which applications to JSR can be created, edited and submitted. FACTOR will delete all incomplete applications after the window closes. Late applications will be rejected and not held until the next deadline. Applications for the May 28, 2020 deadline will be accepted starting February 14, 2020. Applications for the October 29, 2020 deadline will be accepted starting July 15, 2020.
Read FACTOR’s Glossary of Standard Terms and Business Policies.
Funding & Payments
The Juried Sound Recording funding is a grant. For the first phase of the project, FACTOR will contribute 75% of the total eligible budget, to a maximum of $67,500 (including Radio Marketing) for General Artist (of which up to $10,000 can be spent in the sound recording component); and $77,500 (including Radio Marketing) for Artist 2 (of which up to $15,000 can be spent in the sound recording component.) Funding is paid out 50% on approval and the remainder on final completion. Juried Sound Recording projects with sales exceeding the qualifying sales threshold may also qualify for a second phase of funding up to $30,000 (General Artist) or $40,000 (Artist 2).
Assessment materials are reviewed and scored by a jury comprised of music industry professionals. The top-scoring applications are then reviewed by FACTOR staff, who assess the eligibility of the projects and costs and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors for their approval. Assessment time is up to 16 weeks from the deadline.