The Collective Initiatives program is comprised of three components that, singly or in combination, help finance music industry events, showcases and productions that have a collective benefit for the Canadian music industry.
Every event or initiative funded under this program must be collective in nature. Projects cannot predominantly benefit any one artist or enterprise. Successful projects will create new market development results for Canadian artists or music entrepreneurs.
Read the program guidelines.Download PDF
Components in this program
All new Industry Events and Showcase Production for Artists from OLMC projects, must also submit a Letter of Intent at least five months prior to start date, and receive permission from FACTOR to apply.
Each component has its own deadlines.
This component has been retired.
Application needs to be submitted at least 3 months before project start date.
Showcase Production for Artists from Official Language Minority Communities
Application needs to be submitted at least 3 months before event start date.
For the purpose of this component, an OLMC artist includes:
- Artist’s first professional commercial release (album or single) that is supported by a team (label, manager, publisher, agent, or publicist) is no more than 4 years from the start of the fiscal year in which the applicant is seeking funding.
Showcase Production for Export-Ready Artists
Period One Deadline: June 1, 2020 for events occurring between August 1, 2020 – January 31, 2021
Period Two Deadline: September 1, 2020 for events occurring between November 1, 2020 – April 30, 2021
Period Three Deadline: December 1, 2020 for events occurring between February 1, 2021 to July 31, 2021
Period Four Deadline: March 1, 2021 for events occurring between May 1, 2021 – October 31, 2021
For the purpose of this component, an Export-Ready Canadian Artist is:
(a) A Canadian Artist who has
- At least one sound recording of any format or duration that has been made commercially available to the general public in Canada; and
- At least one sound recording of any format or duration that has been made commercially available to the general public outside of Canada, or will be made commercially available to the general public outside of Canada within twelve months of the export showcase; or has a tour or showcase in the territory of export upcoming within twelve months of the export showcase; and
- A professional support team including a least one of the following: artist manager, record label, booking agent, publicist, publisher; and
- Public and industry recognition (via radio play, video play, web hits and streams, music press, blogs, awards, etc.).
“Commercially available to the general public” in this component means the sound recording has been offered for sale or consumption to the general public through physical or digital retail distribution, for streaming or sale online whether through the artist’s own website, the record label’s website, or a third-party website, through authorized audio or video streaming services, or released to terrestrial, satellite, and/or digital radio. If the sound recording is only been made available at live performances of the artist, it will not be deemed to have been made commercially available to the general public.
Read FACTOR’s Glossary of Standard Terms and Business Policies.
Funding & Payments
Funding in this program is a grant. FACTOR will contribute a percentage of the total eligible budget (see below) up to an annual or project maximum. Generally, 50% of the offer is paid when the offer is accepted, and the remainder on final completion.
- Digital marketing: retired.
- Industry events: 50% of total eligible budget up to $200,000 per fiscal year for industry events
- Showcase production for export-ready artists: 50% of total eligible budget
- Showcase production for artists from official language minority communities: 75% of total eligible budget up to $100,000.
FACTOR staff assess the eligibility of the projects and costs and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors for their approval. Assessment time is up to 12 weeks from the date of application.